Today I was doing my normal Costco run. Just the basics-chicken breasts, chips for lunches, spaghetti sauce, etc. As always, you have the sample ladies peddling whatever Costco is trying to sell this week. I usually love the sample ladies, let's face it, Costco samples are like the free appetizer to the pizza you are going to eat before you head home with your lifetime supply of Eggos.
Well, today the sample ladies were on a roll. It is our fall break from school so all 6 of my children were with me. They were all walking with me, the little ones holding the cart and everyone behaving themselves. We walk past the woman sampling bacon and in her LOUD sales voice announces to the store I must be on a field trip because "ALL those kids can't possibly be yours!". Whatever, I smile and walk away. A few aisles away another sample lady is putting sundried tomatoes on cream cheese with crackers. I know this is not going to be a hit with anyone in my home, including me so we walk past without stopping. Well, almost without stopping. She says,"Whoa, now tell me who belongs to who?" I turned to look because there is no other person who she is talking to and she asks me, "Are these all your kids?" I respond by telling her they are and she starts in with the normal blah, blah, blah about how many kids I have, how she can't believe it, how and why would I have this many kids, etc. I have no idea what my facial expression was because inside I really didn't want to hear it, so I half smile and start to walk away. You'd think she would stop, but no she continues on. I am now almost ready to turn down the next aisle and she is yelling at me, "Did you know there is another customer who comes in here and she has 9 kids and is pregnant." I tell her, "Wow, that's great. I really love being a mom too." I start walking away, she starts in again, "You should really meet her, I mean you could have one h#@& of a playdate with that many kids."
Yes, I am sure I would have a lot in common with this other Costco shopper, maybe we could get together and talk about all the rude comments we hear on our family size. Maybe we could get together and talk about how being a mother is the best job we have ever done or how we feel so blessed to be trusted with these amazing spirits from heaven to raise. Or maybe we would have nothing in common besides a having a large family. I don't know, I do know that I have great friends with no children and great friends with more kids than I have. The right family size is a personal decision.
I do know this, I love being a mom, I love my husband, I love my kids, and I love my life. Maybe that is something to make a spectacle of.
Jen...u are a fabulous mom! You have such wonderful kids...I remember having Maddie in my primary class and just loved her to pieces....so sweet...so smart..all of your kids are that way! Some people are just stupid and don't know when to keep their mouths shut. Open mouth and insert foot. As a person with no children but a bunch of animals, I get the same thing only I get "so when are you going to have kids." or "u think you have enough animals?" "I could never have that many animals." and my personal favorite..."don't you think you should give one to a family that can spend more time with them?" What the heck?!?! Anyway, it doesn't matter what other people say...u are a great moma and a wonderful person!
ReplyDeleteLove love this post you are an amazing writer and you need to update!!!! :)
ReplyDelete