Monday, November 23, 2015

Putting it all Together, Week 9 Enos and the Atonement

I loved reading the words of Enos as he writes of his process of gaining his testimony.  It is a personal, individual and sacred process we are blessed to go through and each of us that has gained a testimony should treasure and continually strengthen it.  A few verses of scripture really gave me pause and I have pondered them for quite a few days.

Enos 1:4-8:

4 And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.

 5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.

 6 And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.

 7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?

 8 And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.


We are all sinners, imperfect and requiring the perfect gift of the Atonement, in order to one day return again to our heavenly home.  Jesus Christ paid the price for our sins and the only way to be made whole is through His selfless act.

I recently was able to travel with my family on a trip.  We took a 5 am flight out and I watched the sunrise out my tiny plane window.  I thought about this sight everyday on the trip:


When I first sat down in that airplane seat the sky was black as night, no stars were visible due to the low clouds and it felt so dark and deary.  As we flew and ascended above the clouds I watched the night sky become brighter and brighter as the sun and the promise of a new day won over the darkness.  I can't help but think of how similar our lives are.  We can accept the wonderful gift of the Atonement, repent of our sins and enjoy the promise of a bright eternal future or we can stay in the deary darkness of our sins and unhappiness.

As a little girl I loved to watch the sun rise and afterword I would run around waking everyone else up with the same phrase everyday, "Good morning, it's a brand new day!".  I still say that everyday to my children as I wake them up and I say it now to everyone.  The Atonement brings us the promise of a brand new day!



No comments:

Post a Comment