Friday, May 20, 2016

This I Believe Essay.

I wrote this essay for my English class.  It was personal, and at times very difficult to write.  I shared raw and personal memories and I thought I did a pretty good job on it.  My teacher disagreed, and I received a disappointing grade.


A Laugh a Day Keeps the Doctor Away
I believe in laughter.  I think it is hard to find anything else that changes a tense situation or helps to alleviate stress better than a good laugh.  Most of my favorite memories have a common thread in them, and it is laughter.  Some of the memories I cherish the most are the ones I created with my husband and our children. Often times I can just think back on a memory and laugh as I recall the details.
I have a distinct laugh.  I am not a quiet laugher, and my laugh is contagious.  It is the attribute that I get the most compliments on. When I was a child, I hated my laugh.  I felt embarrassed as my other classmates looked at me strangely when I laughed. I would often avoid situations and conversations to prevent myself from laughing.  As an adult, I have learned to love my laugh.  I love the feeling of joy that comes from making others laugh with me, and the ability to lighten the mood in a room with my laugh.  It has become a treasured part of my identity.
My oldest daughter has been seriously ill since she was 8.  She has been hospitalized countless times, had 10 major surgeries, and many other doctor’s appointments and tests.  There were only a handful of things that made her feel better on her hardest days; a hot shower, a good friend, and a good laugh.  We spent many days in the hospital together playing epic Apples to Apples games with nurses, doctors, and the Child Life associates.  During those games, loud laughter was a constant.  The giggles, belly laughs, and crying from laughter were the distraction she needed from IVs, NG tubes, nasty medicines, and painful procedures.  After each surgery she was not allowed to eat for at least a week, and when food couldn’t fill her stomach, laughter filled her soul.  We treated those dark days of loneliness and pain with the joy of laughter.  Laughter made those hard days easier.
I have looked upon my hardships in life with two options, laughing or crying.  I always choose laughing.  A good cry is sometimes necessary, but what my soul really needs on a hard day is a good, long laugh.  I love to laugh until my stomach muscles burn and salty tears run down my face.  I love to share those times with good friends and family, coloring the hard times of life with the vibrant colors of laughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment