What exactly are tender mercies? In 1 Nephi 1:20 it reads:
And when the Jews heard these things they were angry with him; yea, even as with the prophets of old, whom they had cast out, and stoned, and slain; and they also sought his life, that they might take it away. But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.
I cannot think of tender mercies without thinking of Elder Bednar's conference talk, The Tender Mercies of the Lord, April 2005. I don't think I considered tender mercies very often before his conference address, but I take time everyday to look for a mercy that reminds me of the love the Lord has for me. Elder Bednar defines tender mercies as "the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ."
On August 22, 2015 I woke up with a terrible stomach ache. I thought I had pulled a muscle, although the most strenuous exercise I had done was to go grocery shopping. It was a terrible pain, but I was sure it wasn't anything serious. I am a busy wife and mother and I didn't have time to dwell on not feeling well. I needed to keep up with my responsibilities of my family, home and church callings. The pain continued for 3 days and then I developed a fever. I decided I needed to seek medical attention and had my husband take me to to the Emergency Room. After some tests and an examination I received my diagnosis, a ruptured appendix.
The standard care for a ruptured appendix is to take IV antibiotics for at least 5 days, try to remove the infection, wait for all the inflammation to be gone, and then remove the appendix in 6 weeks. Emergency surgery in my situation was not advised because there would likely be complications and the surgeon wanted to avoid those. I was so upset with myself for ignoring the symptoms and not taking care of the situation earlier before it became so complicated. I received a priesthood blessing and was promised many wonderful things, including healing, comfort and the opportunity for my burden's to be made light. I wondered how things would work out because I would be having a surgery around October 6, several weeks into my Pathway course and 4 weeks out from a long awaited family vacation to Disney World.
I spent a day on the IV, getting my medicine and improving. My doctor was so happy with my progress he said I might be able to go home the next day. The improvement was short-lived and that evening my original symptoms started to return and I knew this wasn't a good sign. I saw my doctor the next day and he confirmed my fears, the surgery would need to be performed immediately and he listed the possible complications and risks to me. The CAT scan test I had 2 days earlier showed a terrible infection in my abdomen from the rupture and my doctor was very concerned how the surgery would go.
I was worried and upset, and I asked for another blessing. I received additional confirmation that all would be well, and I felt comforted. The next morning, August 27, 2015, I was taken in for my appendectomy. As my doctor performed the surgery he was amazed, the infection that was on my CAT scan was completely gone and he was able to remove my appendix as if it hadn't ruptured. I was able to leave the hospital that afternoon and while my body was in pain, my spirit and testimony were renewed.
Elder Bednar counseled us, "the Lord's tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Faithfulness, obedience, and humility invite tender mercies into our lives, and it is often the Lord's timing that enables us to recognize and treasure these important blessings." The Lord was aware of my plight, my fears, and my needs. He extended His tender mercies to me and provided a way that I can heal, still complete my tasks, allow me to attend school and I will be well enough to fully enjoy our family vacation. The Lord loves all of us and extends tender mercies unto us daily. It is up to us to take a few quiet moments and reflect on those blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment