Saturday, October 10, 2015

Putting It All Together, I Nephi 15-22

As I studied this week I found a scripture that touched me and I have pondered it all week.

1 Nephi19:7, For the things which some men esteem to be of great worth, both to the body and soul, others set at naught and trample under their feet. Yea, even the very God of Israel do men trample under their feet; I say, trample under their feet but I would speak in other words—they set him at naught, and hearken not to the voice of his counsels.

This scripture speaks to my soul because I have lived my life in two completely different ways.  I was raised in a home where my father didn't speak of religion or faithful people in a positive way.  He treated those who put their faith in God and wasted time on imaginary things in a very demeaning way.  We didn't have a Bible or ever pray.  

I began attending the LDS church with my friend and her family when I was 12.  My father didn't like it and every Sunday when I got home from church I was in trouble.  Although I ended up getting baptized I did not stay active at church.  I lived my teenage years making some good decisions and some very bad decisions.  My moral compass was very worldly and the standards I was raised with weren't very high.  

My husband and I started dating when I was 17, we moved in together when I was 18, and had our first daughter when I was 19.  We had our second daughter two years later and we both decided the way we were living wasn't how we wanted to raise our children.  We got married and started looking for a church to attend.  I started attending the LDS church and my husband started taking the missionary discussions.  He ended up getting baptized after our third daughter was born.  

Our home is completely opposite of the home I grew up in.  My husband gathers us together every morning and night for family prayer.  We attend church together as a family, we serve in callings, we attend the temple, etc.  We are striving to have a gospel centered home.

The things we place the most value on are things which can't be seen with our physical eyes.  I am a faithful person, and what my father "trampled under" his feet are the things I treasure. My children have knowledge and confidence that was missing in my own life when I was their ages.  Our home is one where the Spirit is felt and we are a happier family because of our life choices.  I know Jesus Christ lived and died to redeem us from our sins.  I know we have a loving Heavenly Father who wants us to return to live in His presence and I try to live by the commandments so I can do just that.


No comments:

Post a Comment